Saturday, January 8, 2011

cow and chicken

I had a very different new year's celebration this year walking through the mountains for six days where I witnessed these, front row, for the very first time.....

the pinikpikan chicken:

I watched as the chicken was brought in by a young girl from outside their house, its neck got slit privately in the next room, feathers plucked and burned in the fire we were sitting around, the chicken "roasted" by hand, cleaned, chopped up and boiled in a pot.

And then a few days later....the cow, slaughtered for an entire village for a thanksgiving celebration:


the cow's heart was stabbed then it was cut open so they could take all the guts and parts out



the parts were carried down and thrown straight into the pot for cooking



and a few hours later, the meat was served in bowls on the ground where everyone sat in organized rows to eat


the head was given to the owner (and was eaten the next day by some of the villagers as well).


Eenteresting, to say the least. Though I had to turn away discreetly a few times, and I silently said a prayer for the animals as I watched, the experience didn't make me want to turn vegetarian for the new year, as I thought it would. It actually made me appreciate the simplicity of "taking only what life requires and nothing more", as a friend so aptly put it.

Spending new year's eve far far away from the indulgence we've grown accustomed to is an amazing experience I will take with me for the rest of the year. HNY!

No comments: